.   .

.

omat-icon

Prior to the First World War the Northumberland Hussars (T.F.) held their annual training camp under canvas in the grounds of Farnley Hall to the north east of Otley.  When war broke out a more permanent camp was established to provide initial training for regiments.   By 1916 shorter specialist courses were being run for officers from a wide range of units

 

Links with the town were forged through, for instance, the Congregational Church Institute and the Wesleyan Institute.  Both provided recreational and refreshment facilities as well as practical and moral support for the many men who passed through the camp until it closed in 1919

Farnley Park Camp

OtleySailors&SoldiersPin Farnley web